Zoya Shadaab Afroz
10 January 1995
|Alma mater||Mithibai College, Mumbai|
|Years active||1998 – present|
|Height||1.71 m (5 ft 7 1⁄2 in)|
Zoya Shadaab Afroz, (born 10 January 1995) is an Indian actress, model and a beauty pageant titleholder. Afroz won the title of Miss India International 2021 competing at the Glamanand Supermodel India contest and will represent India at the Miss International 2022 beauty pageant in Japan. Afroz was previously crowned as the second runner-up at Femina Miss India 2013.
Her first appearance was as a child artist in the television series Kora Kagaz in 1998 and continued to do so in films Hum Saath Saath Hain (1999), Mann (1999) and Kuch Naa Kaho (2003). In 2014, Afroz made her Bollywood screen debut as an adult in the thriller film The Xposé, which emerged as a commercial success. Afroz has also worked in various television commercials since she was a child artist. Afroz promotes education for girls and offers help to women in marginalized sections in acquiring financial independence. She works towards aiding women to acquire basic knowledge and supports the rights of women to get equal opportunity.
Early life and education[edit | edit source]
Afroz was born in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh in a Muslim family, to Shadaab and Saleha Afroz. She started working in Indian films, television series and commercials since the age of three. She attended R N Shah High School in Mumbai. She subsequently attended Mithibai College in Vile Parle, Mumbai, where she acquired her Bachelor of Commerce degree.
Career[edit | edit source]
1998–2005: (Beginnings)[edit | edit source]
Afroz started her career when she was 3 years old. She got her break from the Rasna sponsored Mahasearch Contest at the age of 3, after which she was featured in a commercial for the same. She appeared in the television series Kora Kagaz in 1998. She was spotted by Rajshri Productions and was offered a role in Hum Saath Saath Hain (1999). She played the role of Neelam Kothari's daughter in the film, which was a commercial and box-office success.
She later appeared in films like Mann (1999) and Kuch Naa Kaho (2003). She then acted in the children's fantasy adventure television series Son Pari. She played the role of young Goddess Parvati in DD National's series Jai Mata Ki which aired in the year 2000. As a child, she has appeared in television commercials for several brands like Whirlpool, Shoppers Stop, Jatt Airways and New York Life Insurance.
2012–present[edit | edit source]
At the age of 17, she worked in a Punjabi movie titled Sadi Gali Aaya Karo (2012). As an adult, she made her Bollywood debut in 2014 film, The Xposé. Taran Adarsh described her role by stating: “The leading lady, Zoya Afroz [as Chandni], looks glamorous and had enacted her parts in the film with confidence”. She was later signed up in a Tamil movie titled Thamizhan Endru Sol, but the film was unreleased.
In 2017, Afroz appeared as a lead alongside Himansh Kohli in the film Sweetiee Weds NRI. She expressed - “I was waiting for such a film. So when it came, I grabbed it with both my hands. Earlier, the film I did has quite a serious role. This one is quite fun and I wanted to do something that could connect with the youth and I could play my age onscreen.” She worked in a Tamil film Paamban in 2019. She modelled for the 2020 edition of the annual Kingfisher Calendar in Western Cape, South Africa, and was featured in the March and June pages for the same. She was cast as a lead in the Hindi film Kabaad - The Coin, along with Vivaan Shah. The film was released digitally on February 13, 2021, on Voot. Afroz was signed up in a MX Player's series titled Kaand, and she will co-star alongside Ravi Dubey and Madhur Mittal.
Afroz has also been featured in television commercials and print ads for various brands and products, including Pond's, KFC, Asian Paints, Parliament Basmati Rice, OnePlus, LG, Maruti Suzuki Dzire Century Plyboards and Coca-Cola.
Pageantry[edit | edit source]
Femina Miss India[edit | edit source]
Afroz competed in the Femina Miss Indore 2013 contest at the age of 18, where she won the title. She acquired a direct entry as a contestant in the Femina Miss India 2013 pageant. At the end of the grand finale event held on 24 March 2013, in Yash Raj Studios, Mumbai, Afroz was crowned as the second runner-up by Rochelle Rao, Miss India International 2012 (and Top 15 of Miss International 2012).
Afroz was initially considered to represent India at Miss International 2013 by the Miss India Organization. However, subsequently when Miss Diva 2013 was organized, Gurleen Grewal, the edition's 1st runner-up was selected as Miss India International 2013.
Glamanand Supermodel India[edit | edit source]
Afroz competed in the 2021 edition of the Glamanand Supermodel India pageant. The grand finale event was held at the Kingdom of Dreams, Gurgaon, Haryana in NCR Delhi on 21 August 2021. There, she bagged three sub-titles, namely - Best in Evening Gown, Miss Glamorous Eyes and Top Model.
During the final question and answer round of Femina Miss India 2017, the top 5 delegates were asked the same question - “What is the role of a beauty pageant in a country that lacks unity?”, to which Afroz responded:
"As someone who has dreamt to be on stage of such a prestigious pageant, I believe that beauty pageants give great opportunities to young women to excel in their career, and in whichever field they choose to pursue. Beauty pageants recognises that and gives them wings to fly and strengthen and empower them. So, I believe that in our country where we have so much unity, yet so much diversity, a beauty pageant brings girls from different cultures all together, and they get so much to learn from each other, as opposed to the countries which lacks unity. I really feel that pageants helps women to reach their highest potential, and makes them united."
At the end of the event, she was crowned as Miss India International 2021, besting 23 other contestants. Thereby, she will represent India at the Miss International 2022 pageant to be held during the fall of 2022, in Yokohama City, Japan.
Filmography[edit | edit source]
Films[edit | edit source]
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|1999||Hum Saath Saath Hain||Radhika||Hindi|||
|Mann (film)||Child Actor in School||Hindi|||
|2001||Sant Gyaneshwar||Mukta||Hindi||Directed by Dharmesh Tiwari|||
|2003||Kuch Naa Kaho||Aarya||Hindi|||
|2005||From Tia With Love||Tia||English|||
|2012||Sadi Gali Aaya Karo||Channo||Punjabi|||
|2016||Thamizhan Endru Sol||Zoya||Tamil||Unreleased film|||
|2017||Sweetiee Weds NRI||Sweetie||Hindi|||
|2018||Sugar Free||Monica Tyagi||Hindi||Short film|||
|2021||Kabaad: The Coin||Roma||Hindi|||
Television[edit | edit source]
|1998||Kora Kagaz||Child Artist||As a child artist|||
|2000||Jai Mata Ki||Nanhi Mata / Young Parvati|||
|2001||Hum Saath Aath Hai||Lovely|||
|2013||Femina Miss India 2013||Herself|||
|2014||Comedy Nights with Kapil||Herself - Guest||Episode 82|||
|2020||Kingfisher Calendar: The Making||Herself||Documentary series|||
|2021||Matsya Kaand||TBA||Filming - (Web series by MX Player)|||
Music Videos[edit | edit source]
|Year||Song title||Singer||Record label||Ref.|
|2021||Rab Kare Tu Bhi||Yograj Koushal||Zee Music Company|||
|Ferrari||Anamika||Koco 7 Productions|||
|2020||Galat Bande||R. Nait||White Hill Studios|||
|Suno Na||Arko and Neeti Mohan||Gaana Originals|||
|2018||Raati Saanu||Gajendra Verma||Saga Music|||
Awards and nominations[edit | edit source]
|2013||Bharat Ratna Dr Ambedkar Awards||Beauty Queen of the Year||N/A||Won|||
|2014||Life OK Screen Awards||Best Actress||"The Xposé"||Won|||
References[edit | edit source]
- Sen, Debarati (19 September 2017). "Zoya Afroz: I'm proud of the Miss India crown and my new house". The Times of India.
- "Zoya Afroz crowned as Miss India International 2021". The Hans India. 24 August 2021.
- Mitra, Ipshita (31 March 2013). "The women who've inspired Miss India 2013".
- "Miss India International Zoya Afroz breaks 'pagent-before-film' formula". Indian Express. 25 March 2013. Retrieved 17 February 2021.
- "'The Xpose': Is all about style, glamour and dirty secrets". Deccan Chronicle.
- "Zoya Afroz, from Mumbai crowned as the Miss India International 2021". The Siasat Daily. 23 August 2021.
- "Mumbai's Zoya Afroz is '21 Miss India International". The Hitavada. 24 August 2021.
- "Bollywood Actress got Slammed as 'Anti-Muslim' for Posting Bikini Pics". East Coast Daily. 8 July 2018. Retrieved 20 February 2021.
- Goyal, Samarth (20 May 2016). "When actor Zoya wasn't allowed to kiss onscreen by her mother". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 27 March 2021.
- "Biodata of Zoya Afroz, actor and Miss India". Retrieved 28 March 2021.
- "Zoya Afroz - Femina Miss India Contestant Profile". Femina Miss India. Retrieved 17 February 2021.
- "Former Miss India & Bollywood Actress, Zoya Afroz Reveals The Mystery Behind Winning The Title At Just 18!". 25 June 2017. Retrieved 20 February 2021.
- Daliya Ghose (25 March 2013). "Miss India International Zoya Afroz worked with Aishwarya Rai, Karisma Kapoor". Retrieved 20 February 2021.
- Mehak Anand (7 July 2018). "Bollywood Actress Zoya Afroz Got Slammed After Posting Bikini Picture, People Call Her 'Anti-Muslim'". Retrieved 17 February 2021.
- "'हम साथ-साथ हैं' की यह बच्ची याद है? अब देखें कितनी ग्लैमरस दिखती हैं जोया अफरोज". Jansatta (in Hindi). 17 November 2017. Retrieved 17 February 2021.CS1 maint: unrecognized language (link)
- "Then and now – Hum Saath-Saath Hain". Filmfare. Archived from the original on 7 August 2019. Retrieved 12 June 2019.
- "Miss India 2013: Second runner up Zoya Afroz was a popular child artiste". News18. 25 March 2013. Archived from the original on 7 August 2019. Retrieved 18 February 2021.
- "The stars of Son Pari: Where are they now?". Indian Express.
- "Hindi TV series Jai Mata Ki (2000)". Retrieved 18 February 2021.
- "Remember this little girl Radhika from 'Hum Saath Saath Hain', she is all grown up now". 14 August 2017. Retrieved 17 February 2021.
- "Star cast of Sadi Gali Aaya Karo visits city". Indian Express. 11 December 2012. Retrieved 18 February 2021.
- "Himesh Reshammiya, Zoya Afroz in Jaipur to promote The Xpose". The Times of India. 14 May 2014.
- "The Xpose". Bollywood Hungama.
- Indo-Asian News Service (IANS) (23 November 2015). "Zoya Afroz to team up with Vijayakanth's son". Indian Express.
- "Films are my current focus, says Sweetie weds NRI actor Zoya Afroz". 26 May 2017. Retrieved 18 February 2021.
- "'Sweetiee Weds NRI': Himansh Kohli - Zoya Afroz add tadka to the reprised version of 'Kudi Gujarat Di'". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- "Himansh Kohli and Zoya Afroz talk beyond Yaariyan and The Xposé, share why Sweetie Weds NRI was the film they were waiting for". Indian Express. 31 May 2017. Retrieved 18 February 2021.
- "The Xpose actress and Miss India International 2013 Zoya Afroz is steaming up the internet". Zoom. 14 January 2020.
- "Kingfisher Calendar 2020". kingfishercalendar.com. Retrieved 16 March 2021.
- Aranya Doloi (2 December 2019). "Can't Keep Calm, Because The Very Hot 2020 Kingfisher Calendar Is Almost Here!". NDTV Goodtimes. Retrieved 16 March 2021.
- "Valentine's Day 2021: Upcoming movies and series to add to your watchlist". Republic TV. 10 February 2021.
- Suthar, Manisha (12 February 2021). "Ravi Dubey, Zoya Afroz and Madhur Mittal in MX Player's Kaand". Retrieved 15 March 2021.
- Miss India Organization (19 July 2013). "Zoya Afroz endorses new Pond's Face Wash". Retrieved 19 February 2021.
- "Zoya Afroz wins Miss India International 2013 title". Retrieved 18 February 2021.
- "Asian Paints Royale Ad - Zoya Afroz". 7 April 2013.
- "Parliament Basmati Rice TVC". Miss India Organization. Retrieved 19 February 2021.
- "Profile of actress Zoya Afroz". Tamilstar.com. Retrieved 19 February 2021.
- "LG Automatic Washing Machine Tvc - Zoya Afroz". Retrieved 19 February 2021.
- "Maruti Suzuki Dzire TVC - Zoya Afroz". 20 April 2015.
- "Zoya Afroz in Coca-Cola's Skyfall Ad -The Times of India". The Times of India. 6 July 2013.
- "Femina Miss India 2013 Grand Finale". The Times of India.
- Bella Jaisinghani & Sharmila Ganesan Ram (25 March 2013). "Pond's Femina Miss India 2013: Winners". Economic Times.
- "Actress Zoya Afroz to represent India at Miss International 2021". Lokmat. 23 August 2021.
- Gaur, Trisha (23 August 2021). "Exposé girl Zoya Afroz, crowned Miss India International 2021".
- Sharma, Garima (4 December 2014). "I represent a billion hopes: Gurleen Grewal". The Times of India.
- "Toothsi Comes On-Board with Glamanand Supermodel India 2021 contest". 21 August 2021.
- "Glamanand Supermodel India 2021 Grand Finale". Glamanand Group. 22 August 2021.
- "Zoya Afroz, From Mumbai Crowned As The Miss India International 2021". Daily Thanthi. 24 August 2021.
- "Tweeples invited to chat with Zoya Afroz!". The Times of India. 23 September 2014.
- "Kuch Naa Kaho".
- "Upcoming Punjabi movie Sadi Gali Aaya Karo". The Times of India.
- "Thamizhan Endru Sol". The Times of India. 15 March 2018.
- "Sugary Free (Short Drama) - Zoya Afroz and Yuvraj Siddharth Singh". Retrieved 19 February 2021.
- "Contact Killer (Thriller) - Zoya Afroz, Vamsi Krishna and Murli Verma". Retrieved 19 February 2021.
- "Mom's Coming (2021) - Horror, Thriller- Zoya Afroz". Retrieved 19 February 2021.
- "Meet Zoya Afroz of Femina Miss India fame! Is she the new fashionista on block?". Daily Bhaskar. 14 July 2014. Retrieved 18 February 2021.
- "Being an idol for youg girls in India is not easy: Zoya Afroz". Retrieved 18 February 2021.
- "Zoya Afroz and Himansh Kohli indulge in Gujarati food". The Times of India. 14 May 2017.
- Narayan, Girija (6 May 2014). "Sonali Raut Slapped Miss India Runner-Up, Zoya Afroz During Kapil's Comedy Nights Shooting!". www.filmibeat.com.
- "Lionsgate Play releases a mixed bag of exciting titles for March 2021". APN News. Retrieved 15 March 2021.
- Joy. S (13 January 2020). "KF Calendar 2020 spotlights Aditi Arya, Aishwarya Sushmita, Pooja Chopra and Zoya Afroz". The Indian Express. Retrieved 15 March 2021.
- "'Rab Kare Tu Bhi' Sung By Yograj Koushal Featuring Zoya Afroz And Manvir Singh". The Times of India. 18 August 2021.
- Sharma, Ankita (13 March 2021). "Indipop singer Anamika will be seen in 'Ferrari'". Retrieved 16 March 2021.
- "R Nait's 'Galat Bande' is a playlist staple". The Times of India. 4 February 2020.
- Deekshith Bhanjan (17 January 2020). "Suno Na - Zoya Afroz, Kashyap Shangari, Gaana Originals - Arko, Neeti Mohan".
- "Raati Saanu - Gajendra Verma Feat. Zoya Afroz". 28 August 2018. Retrieved 19 February 2021.
- "Beauty Queen of the Year Award".
- "Zoya Afroz wins Big Life OK Now Award for Best Actress". Retrieved 18 February 2021.