Yash at K.G.F: Chapter 1 film event
Naveen Kumar Gowda
8 January 1986
Yash made his feature film debut with Moggina Manasu (2008) he played the male lead opposite his future wife Radhika. The film was a success and earned him the Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor. He went on to star in many commercially successful films, including Modalasala (2010), Rajadhani (2011), Kirataka (2011), Drama (2012), Googly (2013), Raja Huli (2013), Gajakesari (2014), Mr. and Mrs. Ramachari (2014), Masterpiece (2015) and K.G.F: Chapter 1 (2018). His rise to success has been well documented by the media, and he has been rated one of the popular Kannada film actors.
Early life[edit | edit source]
Naveen Kumar Gowda was born on 8 January 1986. He was born to a Kannada speaking Vokkaliga community in Bhuvanahalli, a village near by Hassana Hassan district of Karnataka. His father, Arun Kumar J. worked in the KSRTC transport service, and later in the BMTC transport service as a driver, and his mother, Pushpa latha, is a homemaker. He has a younger sister, Nandini. His childhood days were spent in Mysore, where he did his pre university course (PUC) in Mahajana Education Society (MES), and after finishing his studies, he joined the Benaka drama troupe which was formed by noted dramatist B. V. Karanth.
Career[edit | edit source]
Early days[edit | edit source]
Yash started his acting career with the teleserial Nanda Gokula directed by Ashok Kashyap, which aired on ETV Kannada. He went on to appear in several other teleserials such as Malebillu "muktha" and Preeti Illada Mele. He acted in Moggina Manasu directed by Shashank in 2008, where he appeared in a supporting role alongside his Nanda Gokula co-star Radhika Pandit. He won the Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor for his performance in the film. Yash then starred in lead characters in the films Rocky (2008), Kallara Santhe (2009), Gokula (2009).
In 2010, Yash starred in Modalasala which became his first commercial solo hit. His next film was Rajadhani in 2011, which got good reviews and his performance was critically acclaimed although the film's return was below average at the box office. The same year, his next film Kirataka was a commercial success. Yash received positive reviews for his performance in the village comedy film. In 2012 Yash had two major releases, Lucky (opposite Ramya) and Jaanu, both of which met with mixed response upon release and became average grossers at the box office. His next film of the same year, the romantic comedy Drama directed by Yograj Bhat was a commercial success. The film was one of the major grossers of 2012.
2013–2016: Success and stardom[edit | edit source]
In his first release of 2013, Googly, a romance-drama he played a Young and dynamic businessman Sharat who falls for Swati (played by Kriti Kharbanda). Directed by Pavan Wadeyar, the film performed well, and was one among the highest-grossing Kannada films of the year. In 2014, he starred in Gajakesari, which was directed by Krisha, and became commercially successful at the box office.
Yash's next film Mr. and Mrs. Ramachari opposite Radhika Pandit had its theatrical release on 25 December 2014, and opened to positive reviews and collected an estimated ₹50 crore and went on to become one of the highest grossing Kannada cinema, and which made him one of the highest-paid actors in Sandalwood.Ramachari was a wholesome entertainer which the perfect blend of romance action and comedy.Yash stamped his authority as one of the Superstars of Kannada Film Industry with this film. In 2015, he acted in Masterpiece, which emerged as a commercial hit at the box office.His looks and dialogues in the film were highly appreciated. In 2016, he starred in Santhu Straight Forward which performed fairly well at the box-office by collecting ₹30 crore.
2018[edit | edit source]
In 2018 he starred in K.G.F: Chapter 1, which was released in Kannada along with dubbed versions in Hindi, Telugu, Tamil, and Malayalam, had the highest production budget in the Kannada cinema industry, and emerging as highest Grossing film in Kannada industry, collecting over ₹250 crore.
Personal life[edit | edit source]
It was speculated in the media that Yash had been in a relationship with actress Radhika for long, and especially after their film, Mr. and Mrs. Ramachari, that saw them portray the lead pair, and their third time together in films. Before the two disclosed it in public, their engagement took place in Goa on 12 August 2016. They married on 9 December 2016 in a private ceremony in Bangalore, while Yash had openly invited everyone from Karnataka for their reception at Bangalore Palace. They have a daughter named Ayra, who was born on 2 December 2018 and a son named Yatharv, who was born on 30 October 2019.
Social works[edit | edit source]
In 2017 Yash along with his actress wife Radhika Pandit founded an organization and named it as Yasho Marga Foundation which marks their contribution towards the betterment of the society. As a first step, the foundation took up the water crisis issue in Koppal district of Karnataka by reportedly investing ₹4 crores towards the desalination of the lakes and providing pure drinking water to the drought affected areas.
Filmography[edit | edit source]
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
• All the films are in Kannada language, unless otherwise noted.
|2012||Lucky||Vikram / Lucky|
|Drama||T. K. Venkatesha|
|2013||Chandra||Himself||Bilingual (Kannada, Tamil)
Cameo appearance in song "Tasse Otthu", "Raaja Raajan"
|Raja Huli||Raja Huli|
|2014||Gajakesari||Krishna / Bahubali|
|Mr. and Mrs. Ramachari||Ramachari||Also playback singer for "Anthamma" Song|
|2015||Masterpiece||Yuva||Also playback singer for song "Annange Love Aagide"|
|2016||Santhu Straight Forward||Santhu|||
|2018||K.G.F: Chapter 1||Raja Krishnappa Bairya/Rocky|||
|2021||K.G.F: Chapter 2|||
Television[edit | edit source]
|2006||Preethi Illada Mele|||
Music video appearances[edit | edit source]
|"Spirit of Chennai"||2016||C. Girinandh||Vikram||Himself||non-album single|||
Awards and nominations[edit | edit source]
|2009||Moggina Manasu||Filmfare Awards South||Best Supporting Actor – Kannada||Won|||
|2013||Drama||Filmfare Awards South||Best Actor – Kannada||Nominated|||
|2014||Googly||Filmfare Awards South||Best Actor – Kannada||Nominated|||
|Googly||SIIMA||Best Actor – Kannada||Nominated|||
|2015||Mr. and Mrs. Ramachari||Filmfare Awards South||Best Actor – Kannada||Won|||
|Filmfare Awards South||Best Male Playback Singer - Kannada "Annthamma"||Nominated|
|SIIMA||Best Actor – Kannada||Won|||
|2016||IIFA Utsavam||Performance In A Leading Role – Kannada||Won|||
|Masterpiece||Filmfare Awards South||Best Actor – Kannada||Nominated|||
|SIIMA||Best Actor – Kannada||Nominated|||
|IIFA Utsavam||Best Performance In A Leading Role – Kannada||Nominated|
|IIFA Utsavam||Best Male Playback Singer - Kannada "Annange Love Aagidhe"||Nominated|
|Zee Kannada Dashakada Sambhrama||Hero Of The Decade - Kannada||Won|
|2017||Santhu Straight Forward||SIIMA||Best Actor – Kannada||Nominated|||
|2018||KGF : Chapter 1||Filmibeat||Best Actor – Kannada||Nominated|
|2019||Zee Kannada Hemmeya Kanndiga||Best Actor - Kannada||Won|
|SIIMA||Best Actor- Kannada||Won|
|SIIMA||Style Icon of South India||Won|
|GQ50||Most Influential Young Indian||Won|||
|Siddashri National Award||Achievement In Social Service||Won|
|Kannada Kala Bhushana||Achievement In Cinema||Won|
|BehindWoods Gold Medal||The Sensation Of South Indian Cinema||Won|
|Tv9 Kannada||Nava Nakshatra||Won|
|Dadasaheb Phalke International Film Festial Awards South||Outstanding Performance of the Year (Male)||Won|||
|Filmfare Awards South||Best Actor - Kannada||Won|||
Footnotes[edit | edit source]
- Refers to the year in which the award ceremony was held.
References[edit | edit source]
- "Who is Naveen Kumar Gowda in Sandalwood? - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 23 January 2020.
- "Yash: Movies, Photos, Videos, News, Biography & Birthday | eTimes". timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 23 January 2020.
- "Yash looking for success". Indiaglitz. 6 October 2006.
- "Yash honed his acting skills in theatre". The Times of India. 21 August 2014.
- "SUDEEP, RADHIKA EMERGE AS TOP SANDALWOOD ACTORS". Bangalore Mirror. Retrieved 26 January 2017.
- "These hunks are the most desired men". The Times of India. Retrieved 26 January 2017.
- Weekend With Ramesh – Episode 7 – August 23, 2014 (in ಕನ್ನಡ). 23 August 2014. Event occurs at 2:50. Retrieved 26 January 2017.
Naveen Kumar Gowda was born on 8 January 1986 in a government hospital in Bhuvanahalli in Hassan district to Arun Kumar J. and Pushpa
- "Actor Yash family, childhood photos". Celebritykick. Retrieved 16 November 2015.
- "Yash honed his acting skills in theatre". The Times of India. 21 August 2014. Retrieved 26 January 2017.
- "Kannada Television Artistes Who Made It Big In Films". filmibeat. 7 August 2013. Retrieved 23 August 2014.
- Moggina Manasu bags five Filmfare awards. Filmibeat (3 August 2009). Retrieved on 11 November 2016.
- Rajadhani review. Rajadhani Kannada movie review, story, rating. IndiaGlitz.com (3 June 2011). Retrieved on 11 November 2016.
- Rajadhani Movie Review, Trailer, & Show timings at Times of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved on 11 November 2016.
- Review: Kirataka is a breezy entertainer – Rediff.com Movies. Rediff.com (27 June 2011). Retrieved on 11 November 2016.
- Kirathaka Movie Review, Trailer, & Show timings at Times of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved on 11 November 2016.
- Kirathaka review. Kirathaka Kannada movie review, story, rating. IndiaGlitz.com (25 June 2011). Retrieved on 11 November 2016.
- Review: Lucky is a treat to watch – Rediff.com Movies. Rediff.com (24 February 2012). Retrieved on 11 November 2016.
- Lucky Movie Review, Trailer, & Show timings at Times of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (24 February 2012). Retrieved on 11 November 2016.
- Jaanu Movie Review, Trailer, & Show timings at Times of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (1 June 2012). Retrieved on 11 November 2016.
- Kannada Review: 'Jaanu' is worth a watch – News18. Ibnlive.com (3 June 2012). Retrieved on 11 November 2016.
- It is over flow for DRAMA – Kannada Movie News. Indiaglitz.com (30 November 2012). Retrieved on 11 November 2016.
- Talukdar, Taniya (21 July 2013). "Googly is unpredictable: Yash". The Times of India. Retrieved 4 July 2017.
- S. Shiva Kumar (29 August 2013). "How different are they?". The Hindu. Retrieved 4 July 2017.
- "Gajakesari, Manam Affect Kochadaiyaan's Box Office Collection At Bangalore". filmibeat. 1 June 2014. Retrieved 23 August 2014.
- "Content over star power: Story of south cinema in first half of 2015". Hindustan Times. 1 July 2015. Retrieved 23 January 2020.
- Box Office Collection: 'PK', 'Mr & Mrs Ramachari' Dominate Bengaluru Collection Centres. Ibtimes.co.in (9 January 2015). Retrieved on 11 November 2016.
- "Birthday gift to Yash: Ramachari to enter cr club soon!". www.sify.com.
- "'Mr and Mrs Ramachari' Review: Audience Live Response". ibtimes.co.in. 25 December 2014. Retrieved 2 January 2015.
- Masterpiece movie review: Live audience response – IBTimes India. Ibtimes.co.in (24 December 2015). Retrieved on 30 September 2018.
- Santhu Straight Forward box office collection: Yash-Radhika-starrer hit by demonetisation – IBTimes India. Ibtimes.co.in (1 December 2016). Retrieved on 30 September 2018.
- KGF rockets through every budget barrier. The New Indian Express. Retrieved on 30 September 2018.
- "Yash's mom ready to take care of his wife!". The Times of India. 2 March 2015. Retrieved 30 October 2016.
- "Actors Yash and Radhika get engaged in Goa". India Today. 12 August 2016. Retrieved 30 October 2016.
- "Kannada actors Yash and Radhika Pandit tie the knot in a dream wedding, see pics". The Indian Express. 9 December 2016. Retrieved 26 January 2017.
- "Inside Yash and Radhika Pandit's daughter Ayra's 1st grand birthday bash; Check it out". PINKVILLA. Retrieved 23 January 2020.
- "There's something new in Yash and Radhika Pandit's life". The Times of India. 26 February 2017.
- "Yasho Marga Yashassu, Yash dilkush". Indiaglitz. 29 March 2017.
- "TV show to 'KGF' success: Here's a glimpse of birthday boy Yash's glittering career". The Times of India. 7 January 2020. Retrieved 15 October 2020.
- Vijayasarathy, R. G. (21 July 2008). "Moggina Manasu works". Rediff.com. Retrieved 28 December 2018.
- Nathan, Archana (29 October 2016). "Far from straightforward". The Hindu. Retrieved 31 December 2018.
- R., Shilpa Sebastian (20 December 2018). "Kannada got funk". The Hindu. Retrieved 28 December 2018.
- Chaitra Krishnamurthy (3 January 2019). "KGF Chapter 2 : Vijay Kirangdur Announces The Release Date! Here's When The Shoot Begins".
- Kumar S., Nanda (16 February 2013). "He spells success". Deccan Herald. Retrieved 28 December 2018.
- S. M., Shashiprasad (1 August 2018). "Rad takes stork joyfully". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 28 December 2018.
- Kudige V., Samatha (28 April 2010). "A dream come true". Deccan Herald. Retrieved 3 January 2019.
- "Celebrating the spirit of Chennai". The Hindu. 9 January 2016. Archived from the original on 22 March 2016. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "56th Idea Filmfare Awards 2008 South: The winners". Retrieved 5 April 2015.
- "60th Idea Filmfare Awards 2013 (South) Nominations". Filmfare. Archived from the original on 7 July 2013. Retrieved 5 April 2015.
- "61st Idea Filmfare Awards (South) Nomination list". Filmfare. Archived from the original on 1 October 2017. Retrieved 5 April 2015.
- "SIIMA Awards 2014: Nominees and winners List for Kannada Movies". The Indian Express. 5 April 2015. Retrieved 5 January 2015.
- "Yash, Shwetha Srivatsav are Filmfare best actors". Retrieved 27 June 2015.
- "Kannada award winners at SIIMA". The Times of India. 11 August 2015. Retrieved 1 April 2018.
- "IIFA Utsavam: Here's a complete list of winners on day 2". Daily News and Analysis. 26 January 2016. Retrieved 1 April 2018.
- "Nominations for the 63rd Britannia Filmfare Awards (South)". filmfare.com. 7 June 2016. Archived from the original on 11 June 2016. Retrieved 1 April 2018.
- "SIIMA Awards 2016 Kannada Nominees, Winners List & Show Details". worldhab.com. 28 June 2016. Archived from the original on 1 April 2018.
- "SIIMA Nominations: Theri, Janatha Garage, Maheshinte Prathikaram and Kirik Party lead". The Indian Express. 31 May 2017. Retrieved 1 April 2018.
- "Here's the full list of GQ's 50 most influential young Indians of 2019".
- NewsKarnataka. "Yash wins Dadasaheb Phalke Award South for KGF". NewsKarnataka. Retrieved 4 January 2021.
- "Winners of the 66th Filmfare Awards (South) 2019". filmfare.com. Retrieved 22 December 2019.
[edit | edit source]