Wisden Cricket Monthly
Wisden Cricket Monthly (WCM) is a UK-based print and digital cricket magazine available to buy worldwide.
The original version ran from June 1979 to September 2003. The magazine was revived in November 2017, launching with an Ashes Special which included exclusive interviews with Joe Root, Steve Smith, Alastair Cook and Mike Brearley.
WCM's editor-in-chief is Phil Walker, with Jo Harman as magazine editor – the former editor and deputy editor of All Out Cricket, respectively. John Stern, former editor of The Wisden Cricketer, is editor-at-large.
WCM has a 10-strong editorial board comprising Wisden editor Lawrence Booth, Wisden India editor Suresh Menon, Isa Guha, David Lloyd, Paul Allott, Alison Mitchell, Elizabeth Ammon, Mark Butcher, Christian Ryan and Daniel Norcross.
As well as Wisden Cricket Monthly, wisden.com was relaunched in November 2017. Ben Gardner is the website's managing editor, Yas Rana operates as its head of content and Taha Hashim is its features editor. The Wisden Cricket Weekly podcast, that features a combination of the website and magazine team and has included guests such as David Gower, Graham Thorpe, and Steve Harmison, was launched in October 2018.
The driving force behind the creation of WCM was its first editor, David Frith, formerly an editor of its rival, The Cricketer. At first, it operated under the Wisden name using licence from John Wisden & Co. Wisden later bought a controlling interest.
After 202 editions, Frith gave way to Tim de Lisle, before Stephen Fay took over from de Lisle after he moved to Wisden's online venture. The last issue of the original WCM, in September 2003, coincided with Fay's 65th birthday and his retirement.
References[edit | edit source]
- Lynch, Steven (12 May 2004). "The history of WCM..." ESPNcricinfo.
- Briggs, Simon (October 6, 2017). "Return of Wisden Cricket Monthly v The Cricketer is a miraculous and wonderful moment for cricket tragics" – via www.telegraph.co.uk.
- "Wisden Cricket Monthly".
- Sealey, Louis (26 April 2020). "Former England captain David Gower hails West Indies legend Malcolm Marshall as the best bowler he faced". Metro.
- Savage, Nic (24 November 2020). "England great Graham Thorpe reveals Ian Healy's cunning sledge during the 1993 Ashes". Fox Sports.
- "Moeen Ali's in my best team, I play him: Harmison". myKhel. 21 June 2020.