V. K. Aatre
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Vasudev Kalkunte Aatre
|Alma mater||University of Waterloo, Canada|
Indian Institute of Science
|Institutions||Indian Institute of Science|
Defence Research and Development Organisation
Naval Physical & Oceanographic Lab
Vasudev Kalkunte Aatre (born 1939) is an Indian scientist and former head of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), India's premier Defence research and development organization. In that capacity, he also served as the Scientific Advisor to the Defence Minister (Raksha Mantri). He is a recipient of the Padma Vibhushan award.
Biography[edit | edit source]
Aatre was born in 1939 in Bangalore. He completed his BE in Electrical Engineering from University Visvesvaraya College of Engineering (UVCE), Bangalore then part of University of Mysore in 1961 and a master's degree from the Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore, in 1963. He was awarded a PhD in Electrical Engineering from the University of Waterloo, Canada, in 1967. Thereafter, he worked as a Professor of Electrical Engineering at the Technical University of Nova Scotia, Halifax, Canada, until 1980. He was a Visiting Professor at IISc till 1977. He is a former member of the Defence Research & Development Service (DRDS).
In 1980, Aatre joined DRDO at the Naval Physical & Oceanographic Laboratory (NPOL), Cochin, and became its Director in 1984. He was later appointed as Chief Controller (R&D) of DRDO. In February 2000, he replaced Abdul Kalam as the Director General of DRDO and SA to RM, serving as scientific advisor to the then Defence Minister, George Fernandes. He retired in October 2004 and was replaced by Dr. M. Natrajan.
Aatre was awarded the Padma Bhushan award in 2000 by the then President K. R. Narayanan. He was bestowed with Padma Vibhushan award, India's second highest civilian award in 2016. He is now chairman of IIEST SHIBPUR, Howrah.
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "Former DRDO chief VK Aatre to submit report on strategic partnership this week". The Economic Times. 11 July 2018. Retrieved 23 March 2020.
- "Vasudev Kalkunte Aatre". expert.inae.in. Retrieved 10 January 2020.
- "www.drdo.org". Archived from the original on 27 December 2004. Retrieved 5 December 2008.
- Divyananda, K; Selvamurthy, W (2005). Soaring High ; A Biography of Dr. Vasudev K. Aatre. I.K. International Publishing House (February 16, 2005). ISBN 8188237248.
- Jan 25, Chethan Kumar | TNN | Updated; 2016; Ist, 17:20. "turban: Scientist VK Aatre gets Padma Vibhushan | Bengaluru News - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 10 January 2020.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- "Ex-chief of DRDO V.K. Aatre honoured". The Hindu. 6 February 2015. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 23 March 2020.
Further reading[edit | edit source]
- Dr. K Divyananda; Dr. W Selvamurthy (2005). Soaring High: A Biography of Dr. V. K. Aatre. New Delhi: IK International ISBN 81-88237-24-8
|Template:Scientist icon2||This article about an Indian scientist is a stub. You can help Bharatpedia by expanding it.|