Ritika Singh at the launch of the short film I Am Sorry
Ritika Mohan Singh
16 December 1994
Ritika Mohan Singh is an Indian actress and mixed martial artist, who predominantly appears in Tamil films in addition to Hindi and Telugu films. After competing for India at the 2009 Asian Indoor Games and then participating in the Super Fight League, she played a leading role in Sudha Kongara Prasad's Tamil film Irudhi Suttru (also simultaneously shot in Hindi as Saala Khadoos) alongside R. Madhavan. She won Special Mention at the 63rd National Film Awards for her performance in the film. She next appeared in the Telugu film Guru and Tamil film Shivalinga. She received Filmfare Awards thrice for a same role in three different languages: Hindi (Saala Khadoos), Tamil (Irudhi Suttru) and Telugu (Guru).
Mixed martial arts career[edit | edit source]
Singh trained as a kickboxer and as a mixed martial artist since childhood, under the guidance of her father. She made her debut in a national competition by competing in the 52 kg category at the 2009 Asian Indoor Games as a kickboxer. She subsequently appeared in the inaugural season of the Super Fight League and competed as a mixed martial artist.
Mixed martial arts record[edit | edit source]
|Professional record breakdown|
|4 matches||1 win||3 losses|
|Loss||1–3||Daizy Singh||Decision (Unanimous)||SFL 22-23||August 17, 2013||3||5:00||Mumbai, India|
|Loss||1–2||Irene Cabello Rivera||Submission (armbar)||SFL 18||May 24, 2013||1||2:06||Mumbai, India|
|Win||1–1||Aya Saber||Decision (Unanimous)||SFL 11||November 30, 2012||3||5:00||Mumbai, India|
|Loss||0–1||Manjit Kolekar||TKO (punches)||SFL 5||October 19, 2012||2||3:45||Mumbai, India|
Acting career[edit | edit source]
Ritika Singh began her acting career in 2013, she was spotted by director Sudha Kongara Prasad in an advert for the Super Fight League and she later auditioned to play a leading role in her bilingual film, Saala Khadoos (2016), after the makers managed to contact her through the competition's chairman, Raj Kundra. Portraying Madhi, a Marwari girl who grows up in the slums of Chennai, Singh was signed because the makers wanted a professional boxer to act, rather than an actress to act as a boxer. For the Tamil version, Irudhi Suttru, Singh phonetically learned her part in Tamil by writing down the dialogues in Hindi. Co-produced by the film's lead actor R. Madhavan and Rajkumar Hirani, the film was released in late January 2016. Ritika received rave reviews for her portrayal, with Sify.com stating "she is a marvelous discovery" and "her lip sync, body language and gait is a major highlight for the film". For her performance in Irudhi Suttru, Ritika won the a Special Mention at the 63rd National Film Awards, and became the first actress, who did not dub for her role, to be recognised at the National Awards. Singh later appeared in Manikandan's Aandavan Kattalai, which was released in September 2016.
Filmography[edit | edit source]
|2016||Irudhi Suttru||Ezhil Madhi||Tamil||National Film Award – Special Jury Award |
Filmfare Award for Best Actress – Tamil
IIFA Award for Best Actress - Tamil
SIIMA Award for Best Debut Actress
|2016||Saala Khadoos||Ezhil Madhi||Hindi||Filmfare Award for Best Female Debut|
|2017||Guru||Rameshwari||Telugu||Filmfare Critics Award for Best Actor – South|
|2020||Oh My Kadavule||Anu Paulraj||Tamil|
Awards[edit | edit source]
|2016||Irudhi Suttru||National Film Award – Special Jury Award|
|Ananda Vikatan Cinema Awards-Best Actress Award|
|2nd IIFA Utsavam - Best Actor Female|
|Saala Khadoos||Filmfare Award for Best Female Debut|
|Zee Cine Award for Best Female Debutant|
|2017||Guru||Apsara Awards - Latest Sensation of the Year|
|2017||Irudhi Suttru||64th Filmfare Awards South - Best Actor Female|
|2017||SIIMA 2017 - Best Debutant Female Award|
|2018||Guru||65th Filmfare Awards South - Critics Award for Best Actress|
|2018||Zee Telugu Golden Awards - Best Find of the Year 2017|
References[edit | edit source]
- "Ritika Singh wants to stay grounded". The Indian Express. 14 January 2016. Retrieved 25 September 2016.
- Sunaina Kumar (22 June 2013). "Not Your Usual Punching Bags". Tehelka. Retrieved 25 September 2016.
- "Ritika Singh MMA Stats, Pictures, News, Videos, Biography". Sherdog. Retrieved 25 September 2016.
- "Never thought of acting in Bollywood: boxer Ritika Singh". The Indian Express. 12 January 2016. Retrieved 25 September 2016.
- "Saala Khadoos: Ritika Singh not the only real-life boxer in the Rajkumar Hirani movie!". India.com. Retrieved 25 September 2016.
- "Review : Irudhi Suttru review". Sify.com. Retrieved 25 September 2016.
- "It's like winning an Oscar: Ritika Singh on National Award". The Indian Express. 28 March 2016. Retrieved 25 September 2016.
- "Aandavan Kattalai: Overwhelming positive response from audiences!". Sify. Retrieved 26 September 2016.
- "Lawrence-Ritika in 'Shivalinga' remake". Sify. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- Anupama, Subramanian (16 July 2016). "Lawrence-Ritika film Shivalinga starts rolling". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "Venkatesh prefers Ritika Singh for remake of Saala Khadoos". The Times of India. 2 September 2016. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- Krishna, Vamsi (18 September 2016). "Guru first look: Venkatesh in rugged avatar for his next, see posters". Indian Express. Hyderabad. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- Srivatsan (27 September 2016). "Irudhi Suttru goes to Tokyo: Director Sudha Kongara says it's a special honour". India Today. New Delhi. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "Ananda Vikatan Cinema Awards - 2016". www.vikatan.com (in தமிழ்). Retrieved 28 January 2017.
- "IIFA Utsavam 2017 day 2: Janatha Garage, Kirik Party, U-turn win top awards". Firstpost. 30 March 2017. Retrieved 3 July 2017.
- "64th Filmfare Awards South 2017: R Madhavan wins Best Actor, Suriya bags Critics Award". Retrieved 3 July 2017.
- "SIIMA 2017 concludes: Ranbir-Kat make a special appearance - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 3 July 2017.
- Hooli, Shekhar H. (1 January 2018). "Zee Telugu Golden Awards 2017 winners list and photos". International Business Times, India Edition.